If you are experiencing low flow or a water pressure issue, this could be due to mineral buildup in your pipes. Minerals refer to lime or calcium buildup in drains and plumbing fixtures. The lime buildup can occur in shower drains for example due to the sodium, magnesium, and other chemicals found in hard water.
Overall, vinegar is the best solution to mineral buildup. Cleaning certain fixtures in your home is a DIY afternoon project with a big payoff. An overnight soak in vinegar could be the answer to your low flow problems.
However, things can become more complicated depending on the extent of the buildup and its location. Try these at-home solutions, and if they do not improve your situation, call Gold Medal Service for drain and plumbing services.
Signs of Hard Water and Mineral Buildup
- Clogged water pipes
- Damage to appliances or plumbing fixture
- Spots and streaks on dishes
- Skin irritation
- Soap scum
- Difficulty cleaning clothes
- Lime scales (hard deposits left behind by dried hard water)
- High water heater energy use
Mineral Buildup in Drains
This process can be used on sink or shower drains. White vinegar is a natural solution for cleaning. Sitting overnight, you will be able to remove lime buildup from the drain while avoiding the harsh chemicals in traditional drain cleaners. Avoid putting any store-bought chemicals down the drain. If you are having issues with your drains, pressure, or pipes, do not attempt a DIY solution and call a professional plumber.
What you’ll need:
- Pot of Water
- Cleaning rag
- ½ Cup Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Vinegar
- Boil a pot of water
- Pour ½ cup of vinegar and ½ cup of baking soda into the drain
- Put cleaning rag over the top of the drain to cover it
- Wait 5 minutes or so while the mixture eats away at the buildup
- Remove rag; pour boiling water into the drain
- Put some vinegar on the sponge and wipe down the drain fixture
Soak the Showerhead
Cleaning the showerhead in the bathroom is a simple DIY project. Remove hard-water mineral buildup that causes clogs and pressure issues over time with these simple steps.
What you’ll need:
- Pipe wrench
- Plastic bag or Tupperware container
- To protect the finish of your fixture, wrap the showerhead with a rag before using the pipe wrench and pliers.
- Unscrew the showerhead with a pipe wrench and pliers.
- Soak the showerhead in a vinegar bath (you can use a Tupperware container filled with vinegar for this)
- Soak it overnight
- Rinse in tap water
- Screw back on
Another Way: If you don’t have a pipe wrench or pliers, you can still clean you showerhead. Try putting vinegar in a plastic bag. Then tie it around your showerhead, keeping the showerhead fully submerged in the vinegar overnight.
- Dishwasher – Add a cup of white vinegar to your dishwasher and run it through one cycle sans dishes. Do this monthly for the best upkeep results.
- Washing Machine – Add a gallon of white vinegar to your washing machine. Run it through one cycle with hot water – no clothes!
- Coffee Maker – Fill the water reservoir with white vinegar. Run it for one brewing cycle. Then run two more cycles with water to make sure the smell and taste of vinegar don’t linger.
- Shower Doors – Simple spray the glass shower doors with white vinegar. This will remove lime scales and hard water stains from the glass.
- Faucets – Wrap a rag soaked in vinegar or a plastic bag filled with vinegar around the fixture overnight. You can always opt to unscrew the fixture and soak it in a vinegar bath instead. Both ways should do the trick.
Water softening equipment is the most effective and long-term solution to hard water. This will prevent mineral buildup over time and make your water more comfortable for showering and cleaning. There is no need to clean anything if your water is already soft. Talk to Gold Medal Service about water softening solutions. We install water softeners and have other water services available for your health and safety. Find out about the wonders of water softeners, here.
Professional Drain Cleaning
If you’re experiencing drain clogs, call a professional cleaner. We have drain cleaning and high-pressure water jetting services that clean pipes effectively and precisely.
Warning: Do not use harsh chemicals that come from the store to clean your drains. They can cause more damage than they are worth. Learn about Bio-Clean, the best all-natural drain cleaner.
Contact the experts at Gold Medal Service for more information on drain cleaning and preventing mineral buildup.
Call (855) 980-0421or schedule an appointment online