A Trusted for Generations

Why are My Outlets Sparking?

Why are My Outlets Sparking?

There are a few times maybe when you probably don’t mind sparks flying: when you think you’ve met “the one,“ Fourth of July, and during the closing number of your favorite band’s concert. However, there is definitely a moment you wouldn’t want to see any sparks at all: when you’re plugging something into an outlet. There are several reasons why your outlets could spark, most of which aren’t ideal.

Water Damage

We all know that water and electricity don’t mix, so if an outlet comes in contact with water or the humidity in your home is very high, the outlet can spark when you try to plug something into it. It’s for this reason that any outlet near a water source should be a GFCI outlet, since these will turn off the current running to the outlet if water exposure is detected.

Short Circuits

If an outlet becomes too hot, it can start to melt the surrounding insulation and wires, causing a short circuit resulting in sparks fly from the outlet. Since exposed wires and frequent short circuits can be a fire hazard, it’s important to have your outlets inspected by a professional if this happens to be a reoccurring problem.

Faulty Installation

We’ve said it time and time again: electric work should only be performed by a professional. If you try to handle things yourself or hire someone who isn’t that skilled, your outlets and wiring may not be installed correctly, leading to sparks and other potential hazards in your home.

When you need professional electrical services, look no further than the trained and certified experts at Gold Medal Service. Call us today to schedule your next service appointment!

Categories: