Clogged Drain or Sewer Line? Prevention and Solution Advice
Did you know that Thanksgiving is the busiest time of year for plumbers due to a large number of clogs caused by misuse of drains, toilets, and garbage disposals? In fact, during all food-heavy holidays, plumbing emergencies rise significantly.
Luckily, you don’t have to be a plumber to know how to prevent and clear clogged drain and sewer lines. Every homeowner has to deal with a clogged drain or sewer line at least once in their life. Call Gold Medal Service to take the stress off your shoulders and clear your drains with a $93 drain cleaning special with a 5-year clog-free guarantee. We’ll take care of any clog you have and get your pipes flowing freely again. To learn how to prevent clogs from happening in the first place and to deal with current clogs, continue reading.
How to Prevent Clogged Drains
- Proper Disposal of Grease and Food: Grease, fats, gravies, sauces and cooking oils should NEVER go down your kitchen drain but should be poured into a heat-resistant container and disposed of in the garbage. Install drain guards to capture any hair, food, or other material before it enters your drain. You can also line a coffee mug with aluminum foil. Pour the grease carefully into the lined mug and allow the grease to cool completely. Then, simply take the foil out of the mug, crumple the top together, and then throw away!
- Proper Disposal of Paper Products: Toilet paper and human waste is the only thing that should go down your toilet. Diapers, paper towels and food should never be flushed; these products do not deteriorate and can easily clog your main sewer line.
- Replace Your Pipes: One way to prevent collapsed sewer lines or tree root infiltration is to replace your old clay or metal sewer lines with today's newer plastic or PVC pipe. If you have continuing problems with tree roots in your sewer line, you may need to have the infiltrating roots cut or your line cleared periodically.
- Install a Backwater Prevention Valve: These fixtures are installed into a sewer line in the basement of your home to prevent sewer backups. They allow sewage to go out, but not to come back in.
- Periodically use hot water, combined with baking soda or vinegar to clean your drains.
To clear troublesome clogs that cannot be fixed with a drain snake or other drain-clearing methods, we turn to the powerful and effective water-jetting method. Instead of using dangerous chemicals, powerful high-pressure water is blasted through your pipes to get rid of all your stubborn clogs. When you cable and chemical clog-removal techniques fail, water jetting is there to the rescue.
In addition to regularly clogged drains, you may also be experiencing problems with your main sewer line.
Common Causes of Clogs:
- Aging Sewer Systems: More than half of nation's sewer lines are 30+ years old or connected to aging municipal sewage systems. After decades of wear, tear and obstruction, the sewer line and system no longer have the capability to withstand heavy demands and so they back up and overflow.
- Combined Pipelines: Some newer sewage and drainage systems combine stormwater and raw sewage into the same pipeline. During intense rain storms, these combined systems are exposed to more volume and debris than they can handle. With nowhere else to go, the outgoing water and sewer backs up into basements and other low lying drains.
- Tree Root Infiltration: Shrubs and trees seeking moisture can make their way into cracks or through joints in your sewer line, causing extensive blockage and damage. Tree roots can travel a long way; the damage may occur from a tree on your property, a neighbor's tree or a tree on public property. Samples of the tree roots can be obtained to identify which tree is responsible for the problem.
- Blocked Municipal Lines: Many times the problem has nothing to do with your property, but with a blockage in a your municipality's sanitary main running under your street. If the blockage is not detected in time, sewage from the main can back up not only into your home but your neighbors, as well.
Usually, this kind of backup happens slowly, giving you plenty of time to call a licensed plumbing, drain and sewer company. The experts at Gold Medal Service are fully equipped to solve your sewer line damage. If water and sewage back into your basement at a rapid rate, don't wait! Call your municipality's public works office or sewer department and report the problem immediately. Then, call us!
We can install new sewer lines or repair currently broken lines. We utilize sewer pipeline repair and installation methods that keep your home tidy. In addition, we use shoe covers and drop cloths for every job to guarantee that your possessions stay exactly as you had them when we arrived. Give us a call today to fix your clogged drains, sewer lines, toilets, and more!
If you have clogged plumbing lines, give Gold Medal Service a call for professional drain cleaning services for only $93! We guarantee a cleared drain for $93 or your money back! If your drain should become clogged again within the next 5 years, we will return for a free follow-up repair!
A video camera line inspection will identify all types of problems, including root intrusion and misaligned, broken, punctured, off-grade or corroded pipes. The camera also identifies grease buildup, leaks and clogs. The inspection can be repeated after any service is performed to verify that the line has been properly cleaned or repaired.
A video camera inspection is recommended if you experience repeated drain line backups, slow drains or clogs. Additionally, a video camera inspection before you purchase a home will help ensure that sewer lines are free of problems that can cause headaches and expensive repairs after you move in.
Video cameras have also been used to locate lost jewelry and valuables. Next time you lose a ring to your sink, don't give up hope! A video inspection can save the day.
We offer a full range of services including:
- Drain and sewer cleaning and unclogging
- Sewer line replacement and repair
- Video inspection of your drains and pipes
- Trenchless sewer repair
Trenchless repair does not harm trees and shrubbery, and it may be the right solution for drain and pipe problems with slab foundations. Call us today for a quick and easy trenchless pipe repair consultation, assessment, and estimate.
Let the plumbing experts at Gold Medal Service focus on your pipes so you don't have to. Let us fix your drain and water pressure problems.
Give us a call today at (732) 365-3199 (live support available 24/7).